Saturday, July 23, 2011

It seems like another life now!

It all started as adjustments with life(style!), learning to share, managing resources ( both time and money), self discipline, burning the midnight oil for exams, lot of temper flying, and unwanted matrons moving around the corridors like zombies. Those mid night hunger strokes followed by coffee breaks - which on many occasions turned into prolonged chat sessions, ending abruptly when someone suddenly would remember and move away saying “ I have to study!”.

Yes I am talking about hostel, a place where an individual learns to live like a social being. One might often be coming out of the cozy comfort of home and entering a new world of strangers. However, the moments spent in hostel are irreplaceable and unforgettable- Everybody cannot have the luxury of hostel life !

But why am I missing my hostel life today suddenly ? Maybe, because of my dearest friend whom I just talked to...Friends - Yes, another most cherished gift that everyone receives from hostel life ! 
I got the opportunity to have a taste of hostel life after school. When I was just another teenager having unlimited dreams, ‘everything is possible’ attitude, loads of friends, no responsibilities, unlimited quest for fun and my college life was just beginning. Life was almost a party then, which I can appreciate better now - with all these responsibilities.

I still remember how deeply worried I was about the fact of sharing my BOX ( hostel room of 3*3m which fitted all the rats and brats to live together in harmony) with a room mate from Kerala (different culture altogether for a North Indian like me ). But I was relaxed very soon as I was greeted by her in a very friendly way, of course she was also a fresher much like me. In fact, we even had a gala time with seniors,  chatting and Drinking coffee (GOSH! Yes it happens in girls hostels too) and planning some mischief. Don’t know from where we used to get all that energy to babble all night! (maybe from the “not so healthy” MESS FOOD!)  and this made to us come in Pressure Cookers hit list too. [Hostel Secret No.1: Our hostel warden, ‘PC-Pressure Cooker’ as she was nicknamed by seniors, because of the extra pressure she applied on the alphabet ‘s’ while pronouncing every word, in a typical Malayalam accent, which would produce an extremely irritating hissing sound in our ears.]

Something famous that I heard about my hostel (especially from my Gujju friends) was that the Bollywood actress Parveen Babi used to live in our hostel. In fact, she escaped from the hostel, and subsequently become an actress in Mumbai. So, as soon as I entered the hostel I could spot many aspiring Bollywood and Tollywood (South-Indian film industry)actresses. But considering the weight of a few, and the height of others, the chances looked meek to me ( of course, they would disagree! ).
The hostel rules were strict, the doors would close at a time when night would just begin for other youngsters in the city- sometimes as early as we finished college and reached the hostel. Still we managed to fool the Pressure Cooker a number of times[ Hostel Secret No.2: We still managed to take numerous night outs to attend cultural fests and birthday treats with our non-hosteler friends]. 

I guess I've already written enough, and at last I would say that I had an Awesomely Amazing and Wickedly Remember-able time at St. Xavier's Hostel.




No comments:

Post a Comment